The City of Henderson was the first city in Nevada to become an Age-Friendly Community by AARP. Inclusion into the Age-Friendly Community Network means that Henderson's elected leadership has made the commitment to actively work toward making the City a great place for people of all ages.
The city accepted its initial Age Friendly Plan in 2018 and is currently in the process of updating the plan to reflect current resident needs and priorities. The Age-Friendly Action Plan Update will accomplish the following:
- Fulfill AARP's requirements to maintain designation for an Age-Friendly Community
- Evaluate current goals/strategies to identify gaps and ongoing priorities
- Develop new goals and metrics as needed
The planning process will occur roughly Summer 2022 to Summer 2023.
For more information on Age-Friendly Communities, please visit the AARP's Network of Age-Friendly Communities.
More About the Age-Friendly Community Network via AARP
- Serve as a catalyst for educating, encouraging, promoting, and recognizing the improvements that make cities more supportive of older residents and people of ALL ages.
- Provide cities with age-friendly resources by tapping into national and global research, models, and best practices.
- Leverage and enhance AARP's existing and extensive work in community outreach, advocacy, and livable communities.
Current Age-Friendly Action Plan (2018)
To become an Age-Friendly Community, the City of Henderson developed the first Age-Friendly Henderson Action Plan, completed and adopted by City Council in 2018. The plan complies with AARP's eight domains of livability including:
- Outdoor Spaces and Buildings
- Social Participation
- Respect and Social Inclusion
- Civic Participation and Employment
- Communication and Information
- Community Support and Health Services