Last updated: 3/1/21
Your privacy is important to the City of Henderson. To clarify how we protect your privacy, this notice explains our online information practices and the choices you can make that determine how your information is collected and used by us. This notice is easily identified and accessed from www.cityofhenderson.com.
To prevent unauthorized access, maintain data accuracy, and to ensure the correct use of information you provide, the City has put in place appropriate physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information it collects.
Access to Personal Information
The Information We Collect
The Way We Use Information
Children Under the Age of 13
Third Party Sites
Our Commitment to Data Security
Credit Card Information
Endpoint Data Collection
Social Security Number Confidentiality
Who to Contact
All information collected on our online websites and applications, including mobile, will be treated the same as any written communication and is subject to the confidentiality and public disclosure provisions of applicable law.
The City offers a number of query-based applications that may be used to access public records. Deed recordings and voter registration locations fall under this category of services.
Some information is public by law. Public records contain information about individuals or information that can be identified or associated with a particular individual. Access to this personally identifiable information is a public record at state and local levels of government in Nevada and is controlled by Nevada law. See Nevada Revised Statutes Chapter 239 Public Records in General. City staff cannot legally hide or refuse access to this information to interested parties. However, access to this type of information is not new. All parties, upon request, have access to this information.
Information that is generally available under Nevada law and not declared by law to be confidential may be posted for electronic access by the City. Nevada law recognizes many concerns people have about public records that include information about them, including the right to correct inaccurate information. Consequently, persons concerned about information about them should contact the custodian of the record, which typically is a state agency, the City, or other governmental entity that collects and maintains the information.
With minimal exception, this policy governs all information collected on or submitted to the City’s websites and applications. Users may have the ability to order goods or services, make information requests, or access links to other public information resources via City websites and applications. The types of personal information the City collects at various points include:
- Personal and/or business names
- Email addresses
- Telephone numbers
- Fax numbers
- Specific information to describe a complaint or request information
- Credit/Debit card information (not retained)
- Parking ticket identification numbers
- Permit identifications
The primary reason that we collect and maintain user information is to serve you and administer your customer relationship with the City. The information collected is subject to the same controls and uses as that collected by governmental offices visited in person, again subject to the access and confidentiality provisions of applicable law.
Additional types of information that the City may collect from our websites or applications at various points of your usage includes:
- Internet domain through which you access the internet (e.g., yourServiceProvider.com if you use a commercial Internet service provider, or yourSchool.edu if you use an internet account from your school)
- Internet protocol address of the computer you are using
- Type of browser software and operating system you are using
- Date and time, you access the website or application
- Internet address of the site from which you linked directly to a website or application
- Which portions of the website or application you visit
- The country or region of the world from which you accessed the website or application
The City will use this information as aggregate data to improve websites and applications by analyzing usage or to provide personalized services such as emergency notifications to subscribed users only. The City will not use this information to identify individuals, except for site security and law enforcement purposes. The City will not obtain personally-identifying information about users when they use the application or the website, unless they choose to provide such information.
If you register or create an account with a City website or application, the City may obtain information such as:
- User ID
- Date and time of your request
- Type of service intended, e.g., calling a city department
- Analytic information, such as number of unique customers, sessions, intents, skill activations
If personal information is requested on a website or application, or volunteered by the user, state law and the federal Privacy Act of 1974 may protect it. However, this information is a public record once it is provided and may be subject to public inspection and copying if not protected by federal or state law.
City staff uses the information you provide about yourself when completing a transaction you initiate over one or more of the Internet services on City websites and applications. This information is only used to complete the transaction you requested and to analyze trends. The City does not share this information with outside parties except to the extent necessary to complete your order.
The City does not sell users’ information to any third parties, and it does not disclose it to third parties unless necessary to process a transaction you have requested or as required by law.
The City does not specifically solicit information from minors through City websites or applications, nor does the City seek to determine whether the visitor to a website or application is a minor. Consequently, visitors should be aware that the collection of personal information requested from or volunteered by children online or by email will be treated in the same manner as information given by an adult. Among other things, this means that it will be public record and therefore will be subject to public access. The City asks that parents guide their children when children are asked to provide personal information online. We ask that children get their parents' permission before providing any information to us.
The City does not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If you are under 13, do not use or provide any information on any City website or application, or through any of its features, register on a City website or application, make any purchases through a City website or application, use any of the interactive or public comment features of a City website or application, or provide any information about yourself to us, including your name, address, telephone number, email address, or any screen name or user name you may use.
The City is located in the State of Nevada in the United States. We provide our websites and applications for use only by persons who “live, work and play” in the City of Henderson subject to the laws of the United States and the State of Nevada. We make no claims that City websites and applications, or any of the content, is accessible, appropriate or lawful outside of the the United States. If you choose to access a City website or application from another location, you do so on your own initiative and are responsible for compliance with local laws.
The City of Henderson uses social media to communicate matters of public interest. All official City of Henderson social media channels are limited public forums. We encourage you to submit comments that are on topic, but please address your comments to the specific topic(s) discussed. This is a forum limited to the specific topics identified and raised by the City. Users who submit Content to this City Social Media Site agree they have read, understand and agree to the following terms and conditions by virtue of such use:
- I am submitting content voluntarily and on my own behalf.
- The content I post reflects my own original thoughts or work.
- I understand that the City/County has the right to re-post or share any Content, photos or videos that I submit on this or other City/County Social Media Sites.
- I understand that any Content I provide may be considered a "public record" under state law.
- I understand and agree that unless specifically identified as a resource for receiving requests for information under the state public information laws, City Social Media Sites are not proper vehicles for making requests for public information or public records under state law and any such requests must be made to the appropriate custodian of the records through Contact Henderson at cityofhenderson.com
- I understand and agree that my and others' comments are subject to archiving and that my comments and others' comments are subject to removal in whole or in part from this site if my or their comments contain:
- Is off-subject or out of context
- Makes use of profanity
- Contains obscenity or material that appeals to the prurient of interests
- Contains any form of hate speech or is discriminatory on the basis of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, or gender identity Is threatening, harassing or discriminatory
- Depicts or encourages violence or other illegal activities
- Displays sensitive and personal identifying information (PII)
- Promotes commercial products/services
- Contains partisan political statements or promotes political campaigns or candidates Information that directly interferes or compromises ongoing investigations, public safety tactics, or the safety of public safety officers
- Links to any site or Content posted by automatic software programs (i.e. “bots”)
- Appear to violate the intellectual property right of the City or a third party under federal or state law
- Contains information that reasonably could compromise individual or public safety
- I also understand that the views and comments expressed on this site only reflect those of the comment’s author, and do not necessarily reflect the official views of the City, its elected and appointed Officers and Employees or its departments and agencies.
- Waiver of Liability. Because various laws exist that create liability for various actions, including but without limitation defamation, invasion of privacy, false light, breach of contract, procurement violations, violations of due process among many potential areas of exposure for which the City accepts no responsibility based on the actions of others or for creating this Social Media Site, I, for myself, successors and assigns, release and hold harmless and agree to indemnify the City, including its Officers and Employees, from any and all actions, claims, liabilities and damages of whatever kind and nature arising out of or in connection with my use of the City Social Media Site/Account.
Visitors to City websites and applications may link to various other websites or applications. The City may maintain official content on third party websites or applications to engage with the community and communicate with users through multiple channels. The City is not responsible for the privacy practices or content of external sites and applications. Many of these sites, particularly those in the private sector, may not be subject to state or federal law. Those visiting external sites or applications are advised to check the applicable privacy statement and be cautious about providing personally identifiable information without a clear understanding of how the information will be used.
Visitors to, and users of, any City websites and applications, are advised that information contained within the pages of the websites and application is believed to be accurate. However, errors can occur. The City makes no warranty or guarantee regarding the completeness, accuracy, or timeliness of such information and the data or that such information and data will be error-free. The City does not endorse any products or services linked from this system, and none of them shall be held liable for any losses, damages or injury caused by reliance on the accuracy, reliability, completeness, or timeliness of such information. Portions of the information may be incorrect or not current. Any person or entity that uses or relies on any information obtained from this system assumes all risk of using or relying on any such information.
The City websites and applications and their respective contents, features, and functionality (including but not limited to all information, software, text, displays, images, video, and audio, and the design, selection, and arrangement thereof) are owned by the City, its licensors, or other providers of such material and are protected by United States and international copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, and other intellectual property or proprietary rights laws. You are permitted to use the websites and applications for personal, non-commercial purposes only. You must not reproduce, distribute, modify, create derivative works of, publicly display, publicly perform, republish, download, store, or transmit any of the material on our websites and applications, except as reasonably contemplated by the intended personal, non-commercial purpose of each such website or application. You shall not delete or alter any copyright, trademark, or other proprietary rights notices from copies of materials from any City website or application.
If you believe that any content on a City website or application violates your intellectual property rights, please send us a notice of infringement. It is the policy of the City to terminate the access of repeat infringers to City websites and applications.
Top of Page
- · In any way that violates, or is in noncompliance with, any applicable federal, state, local, or international law, rule or regulation.
- · For the purpose of exploiting, harming, or attempting to exploit or harm minors in any way by exposing them to inappropriate content, asking for personally identifiable information, or otherwise.
- · To transmit, or procure the sending of, any advertising or promotional material, including any “junk mail,” “chain letter,” “spam,” or any other similar solicitation.
- · To impersonate or attempt to impersonate the City, a City employee, another user, or any other person or entity (including, without limitation, by using email addresses or screen names associated with any of the foregoing).
- · To engage in any other conduct that restricts or inhibits anyone's use or enjoyment of a website or application, or which, as determined by us, may harm the City or users of any website or application, or expose them to liability or injury.
Additionally, you agree not to:
- · Use any website or application in any manner that could disable, overburden, damage, or impair the site or interfere with any other party’s use of a website or application, including their ability to engage in real time activities through the website or application.
- · Use any device, software, or routine that interferes with the proper working of the a website or application.
- · Introduce any viruses, Trojan horses, worms, logic bombs, or other material that is malicious or technologically harmful.
- · Attempt to gain unauthorized access to, interfere with, damage, or disrupt any parts of the a website or application, the server on which the any website or application is stored, or any server, computer, or database connected to a website or application.
- · Attack a website or application via a denial-of-service attack or a distributed denial-of-service attack.
- · Otherwise attempt to interfere with the proper working of any website or application.
Customers are be able to transact financial business with the City through various e-commerce applications utilized by the City. To protect this information, the City uses credit card verification services, up-to-date encryption technologies, and the like to maintain a standard, high level of protection for your information. Finally, the City's Information Technology environment is configured to industry best practices including periodic security testing.
User names and passwords or PINs may be required to access an online service offered by the City. No representative of the City will ever request a user to reveal their user name, password or PIN. Under no circumstances should this information be shared with or disclosed to any other person. However, online systems may offer the built-in capability to securely assist users who have lost or forgotten their PIN or password.
The City does not save credit card information. The information collected during the purchase of a good or service is used only for the duration of the transaction and will not be permanently retained.
The City may occasionally use “cookies” in connection with the use of the City websites and applications. What are cookies? Cookies are small pieces of information that a website or application transfers to an individual's hard drive for record-keeping purposes. Cookies may make web surfing easier for you by saving your preferences while you are at our sites or using our applications.
Endpoint devices may automatically send us (and the City may retain) information such as:
- Internet domain through which you access the service
- Internet Protocol (IP) address of the computer you are using
- Type of browser software and operating system you are using
- Date and time you access the service
- The IP address of the site from which you linked directly to the website or application
- GPS data as needed for geolocation-based services
Email messages sent to any City of Henderson address will be treated the same as any other form of written communication, and are subject to public review. Email or other information requests sent to the City's Web site will be maintained in accordance with the Public Records Retention Schedule established in the Nevada Administrative Code Chapter 239 and in order to:
- Respond to the request.
- Forward the request to the appropriate agency.
- Communicate updates to the page that may be of interest to you.
- Provide City web designers with valuable customer feedback to improve websites and applications.
NRS 239B.030 prohibits a person from including and a governmental agency from requiring a person to include a social security number on any document that is filed or otherwise submitted on or after January 1, 2007, unless required pursuant to specific state or federal law, for the administration of a public program or for an application for a federal or state grant. The public notice of the City’s action in complying with this statutory requirement can be accessed on the Public Records Policy.