Water Source

Share & Bookmark, Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
Print

Colorado River

How we get water in the desert.

Southern Nevada receives approximately 90% of its drinking water from the Colorado River, via Lake Mead. The river is considered one of the highest quality and cleanest water sources available in the world, originating as snow fall on the western slopes of the Colorado Rocky Mountains. The remaining 10% of our drinking water comes from groundwater sources, or wells, located throughout the Las Vegas valley.

 

Henderson's Hard Water

Because our water originates in the mountains and must travel through rocky substrate to form the Colorado River, there is a relatively higher concentration of naturally occurring minerals making the water "hard." Hardness in drinking water is caused by two minerals in the Colorado River system, calcium and magnesium, and results in water deposits on water fixtures and reducing the ability for soap to make foam and "lather."

BMI Intake

 

Fresh Drinking Water  

The City of Henderson treats and provides approximately 15% of the City's drinking water by our own Water Treatment Plant, with a capacity up to 15 million gallons per day. The other 85% is supplied by our partner, the Southern Nevada Water Authority.