What IS Water Waste?

Share & Bookmark, Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Water waste is the excess use, loss or escape of water through breaks, leaks or malfunction in the water user's plumbing or distribution facilities for any period of time after such escape of water should have been reasonably discovered and corrected. Water waste includes, but is not limited to:

  • Allowing water to flow or spray off private property onto a sidewalk, pavement, gutter, street, alley, right-of-way or drain.
  • Failure to repair a malfunction of an irrigation system or supply line within 48 hours of notification by the city. Such malfunctions may include, but are not limited to: pooling due to broken sprinkler head, geysers or jets of water caused by broken drip irrigation line, etc.
  • Failure to repair a water leak.

CLICK HERE to view the Title 14 City Ordinance regarding water waste. 

What does Water Waste look like?

Common examples of water waste are:

  • Irrigating on any day other than the ones designated for your address. Find your designated watering days HERE.
  • Irrigating between the hours of 11 a.m. and 7 p.m., May 1 through August 31. water waste
  • Draining a swimming pool or spa into the street rather than your designated sanitary sewer port where the water can be recycled. Henderson customers on septic systems are exempt from this restriction, but are required to dechlorinate the water and submit a request prior to discharging water to the gutter, 
  • Failing to repair a water leak, such as a leaking toilet or broken sprinkler head.
  • Running a sprinkler system too long, which allows excess water that cannot be absorbed to flow off property.

Report Water Waste

You may anonymously report water waste here or by calling 702-267-5900.

We need the location, day, time, and type of water waste you witnessed to open an investigation. We can then assist the responsible resident or business to identify the source of their water waste and advise them of methods for preventing it in the future. We appreciate your help!

Enforcement of Water Waste

Customers in violation of the water waste ordinance may be assessed an administrative fine. An administrative fine system is in place to ensure compliance with the City of Henderson's water conservation ordinance. The following steps outline the violation and administrative fine process. 

  • Upon initial discovery of a violation of the water conservation ordinance, the City will extend a warning letter.
  • If a second violation occurs within 18 months, a Notice of Violation will be issued and a fine assessed.
  • If the violation is not corrected, additional violation letters will be issued, and fines will continue to be assessed. Failure to correct the violation could result with a fine.
  • Water waste violations are cumulative within an 18-month period. Violations for improper draining of pools or spas are cumulative within a 36-month period.

Administrative Fines

Customers in violation of the Henderson Municipal Code Water Conservation Ordinance will be assessed an administrative fine according to the following schedule. Most Henderson residential customers are served by a water meter that is 1 inch or less.

Meter Size 1st Violation 2nd Violation  3rd Violation  4th Violation  5th+ Violation 
1" or less $80.00 $160.00 $320.00 $640.00 $1,280.00
more than 1" up to 3" $160.00 $320.00  $640.00  $1,280.00  $2,560.00 
3" or greater $320.00 $640.00  $1,280.00  $2,560.00  $5,120.00 

The levying of this administrative fine does not preclude additional enforcement actions being taken against you consistent with HMC Chapter 14.21 or other applicable law. The City reserves all rights under the HMC to seek civil or criminal remedies and bring additional administrative enforcement actions.

Request for Reconsideration Process

Submission of a request for reconsideration is the first step of the appeals process for customers who feel they have been assessed an administrative fine in error.

All requests for reconsideration:

  1. shall be made by the aggrieved person by submitting a written request for reconsideration to the Director that:
    • Identifies the action taken or decision made by the City that the aggrieved person would like reconsidered;
    • Sets forth in detail the facts supporting the request for reconsideration; and
    • Identifies any relief requested.
  2. shall be delivered personally or by registered or certified mail, return receipt requested to the Director; and
  3. must be received by the Director, if delivered personally, or must be postmarked, if delivered by registered or certified mail on or before the 11th day after the City takes the action or makes the decision that the aggrieved person would like reconsidered.

This is a summary. Click here for full disclosure of the Request for Reconsideration process.

If submitting a request for reconsideration to the Director of Utility Services pursuant to HMC 14.21.120.A, your written request for reconsideration and any documentation related to that request must be submitted in a timely manner, as follows:

City of Henderson

Attention - Director of Utility Services

P.O. Box 95050 - MSC 124

City Hall 240 Water Street

Henderson, NV  89009-5050


Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer