The City of Henderson strives to spread the message of kindness and the value of kind acts through our city special events, programs, parks and facilities.
By encouraging our residents and customers to extend a kind word or gesture, we hope to achieve a greater sense of caring, sportsmanship and empathy throughout Henderson.
Heart of the City
2021 Heart of the City Award Honoree Eric Umali
Eric Umali, Owner of Altruist MMA, was nominated by 10 people for this award. Every nomination was unique and reflected Eric's kindness and the good deeds he does for his students and Henderson residents. His nonprofit martial arts school strives to help the community by extending support to those who can benefit from Altruist MMA’s training programs.
Eric hosts monthly drives to donate clothes and food around the valley, and requires all students to perform a good deed before they can get a new rank in the gym's belt system.
Many children have started food drives, donated clothes or learned to build houses for the homeless because of Eric's encouragement. He considers their contributions to their community just as important as the classes they attend. Eric strives to develop good people, not just good athletes. Students of all ages are learning how important it is to give back, because Eric leads by example.
Eric helps the people he teaches every day, hoping they learn to help the people around them, He is the Heart of our City.
2022 Heart of the City Nominations
The Heart of the City Award is designed to recognize individuals who have performed exceptional acts of kindness that have enriched the lives of our community. The award is presented annually to a citizen or city employee who has demonstrated distinctive service or acts of kindness to another individual, which may be described as one or more of the following:
- Improvement of academic performance
- Enrichment opportunities, character building and/or mentoring
- Recognition of others
- Possessing exceptional qualities that set this person apart
- An action or behavior that raised the morale of others
- Sincere cooperation, positive attitude and exceptional willingness to assist others
City of Henderson residents and employees who have gone above and beyond in promoting and living the kindness message (such as, but not limited to, coaches, teachers, students, and community leaders) are eligible for nomination.
Nominations for the 2022 Heart of the City Award are accepted through October 1, 2022.
2022 Heart of the City Nomination Form
Heart of the City Recipients
- 2021 Eric Umali
- 2020 Debbie Gardner
- 2019 Tammie Hampton
- 2018 Gages Curry
- 2017 Jud Wilhite
- 2016 J. T. Reynolds
- 2015 Drew Stevens
Kindness is Key
Participants of Safekey and Teen Scene who extend a kind word or gesture are recognized monthly. Program staff submit nominations and a special award is presented to the top nominees.
Help Spread Kindness
Below are some examples of how you can help spread kindness.
- Pay someone a compliment
- Say thank you
- Bring in a neighbor’s trash bins
- Greet someone with a smile
- Wipe down fitness equipment after use
- Hold a door open for another person
- Let someone go ahead of you in line
- Pick up a piece of litter
- Ask if you can help
- Return a shopping cart
- Compliment someone to their boss
- Leave a nice server a generous tip
- Help a mother with her baby stroller
- Volunteer your time or talents
- Help someone carrying a lot of stuff
- Let someone merge into your traffic lane
- Introduce yourself to your neighbors
- Offer your seat
- Bring a treat to work
- Give someone a book you think they’d like
- Let them have the parking space
- Try to make every person in a group conversation feel included
- Send anonymous flowers
- Compliment someone in front of others
- Listen intently
- Adopt a rescue pet
- Hold the elevator