The City of Henderson strives to spread the message of kindness and the value of kind acts through our city special events, programs, parks and facilities.
By encouraging our residents and customers to extend a kind word or gesture, we hope to achieve a greater sense of caring, sportsmanship and empathy throughout Henderson.
Heart of the City Award
2022 Heart of the City Nominations
The Heart of the City Award is designed to recognize individuals who have performed exceptional acts of kindness that have enriched the lives of our community. The award is presented annually to a citizen or city employee who has demonstrated distinctive service or acts of kindness to another individual, which may be described as one or more of the following:
- Improvement of academic performance
- Enrichment opportunities, character building and/or mentoring
- Recognition of others
- Possessing exceptional qualities that set this person apart
- An action or behavior that raised the morale of others
- Sincere cooperation, positive attitude and exceptional willingness to assist others
City of Henderson residents and employees who have gone above and beyond in promoting and living the kindness message (such as, but not limited to, coaches, teachers, students, and community leaders) are eligible for nomination.
Nominations for the 2022 Heart of the City Award are accepted through October 1, 2022.
2022 Heart of the City Nomination Form
2022 Heart of the City Award Honorees
Joe and Tracey Robbins
Joe and Tracey Robbins tragically lost their son, Quinton, on October 1, 2017. Because Quinton loved helping people and giving back to the community, they knew they had to have his legacy live on through the Henderson Community.
Joe and Tracey created the Play it Forward foundation in his honor to help local schools and sporting programs in Henderson. Since developing the foundation, Joe and Tracey have sponsored numerous programs in Henderson including City of Henderson youth and adult sports, Henderson Flag Football league, Henderson Little League, and much more. Through the foundation they have also created “Play it forward” cards which encourage spreading kindness throughout the world in honor of Quinton.
The Robbins have also created a scholarship fund for students who attend Basic High School and Brown Junior High School. Students who play sports are nominated by teachers and administration, and at each school one female and one male student is awarded $1,000.
Joe and Tracey Robbins have lived through the hardest experience of their life losing Quinton but have taken the love and support the community provided them and have “played it forward” to help make a positive impact on the community. They are the Heart of our City.
Heart of the City Recipients
- 2022 Joe and Tracey Robbins
- 2021 Eric Umali
- 2020 Debbie Gardner
- 2019 Tammie Hampton
- 2018 Gages Curry
- 2017 Jud Wilhite
- 2016 J. T. Reynolds
- 2015 Drew Stevens
Kindness is Key
Participants of Safekey and Teen Scene who extend a kind word or gesture are recognized monthly. Program staff submit nominations and a special award is presented to the top nominees.
Help Spread Kindness
Below are some examples of how you can help spread kindness.
- Pay someone a compliment
- Say thank you
- Bring in a neighbor’s trash bins
- Greet someone with a smile
- Wipe down fitness equipment after use
- Hold a door open for another person
- Let someone go ahead of you in line
- Pick up a piece of litter
- Ask if you can help
- Return a shopping cart
- Compliment someone to their boss
- Leave a nice server a generous tip
- Help a mother with her baby stroller
- Volunteer your time or talents
- Help someone carrying a lot of stuff
- Let someone merge into your traffic lane
- Introduce yourself to your neighbors
- Offer your seat
- Bring a treat to work
- Give someone a book you think they’d like
- Let them have the parking space
- Try to make every person in a group conversation feel included
- Send anonymous flowers
- Compliment someone in front of others
- Listen intently
- Adopt a rescue pet
- Hold the elevator